Friday, June 15, 2012

Second Hand Hand Made


On my travels this last weekend, I managed to pop into a couple of second hand stores, 'Junk Shops' my mother used to call them. It was she who introduced me to the pleasures of thrifted goodness way back once upon a time. And rather than subject you to a multitude of macro shots of mint, lavender, and yarrow with the occasional wee spider thrown in (as I wait for my new camera lens to arrive), I thought I'd show off my finds using a clunky old lens from days of yore. I don't think camera lenses are meant to make a "ka-chunk" or a "rattle-clink" and also a "wheezing-grind" - still I did manage a couple of shots.

In Lafayette I poked my head into a funny old place with racks of 1980's clothing, overpriced black wrought iron bar stools (also from the 80's I think), and various doo-dahs in ramshackle piles. My eagle eye spotted something delicate and lacy way back in one corner, and there in a basket shaped like a gondola was a sweet collection of vintage hand made doilies, runners, linen napkins, and table cloth. So, for a very satisfactory price they made their way home with me.


At the beach my first stop is always the local thrift, where at first I despaired of finding my usual weekend sweater and book of pulp fiction. Then I spied a flash of red peeking out from the used towel section. Lo and Behold! A beautiful hand knit shawl made from the most gorgeous of crimson wool, be still my heart! Oh and did I mention, $2!

All in all a nice bit of treasure. Hurrah for second hand hand made!

Have you found any treasures recently, I'd love to know!



15 comments:

Charlotte said...

Wow! You really scored! I need to visit some 'junk shops'!

Flaming Nora said...

My Mum once told me I had eyes like a sewer house rat, as I spied a rather tasty 1950's vase at the back of a junk shop from the other side of the street. I suspect you look at life through the same lens!

Rosalie said...

Ein wunderschöne Kombination von Kanne, Schale und traumhaften Stoffen. Und die Strickstola gefällt mir auch sehr gut.
Hab ein nettes Wochenende
Liebe Rosaliegrüße ∙∙♥♥∙∙

Unknown said...

we have charity shops, we do have junk shops too but in general they can be a bit more expensive, today my charity shop finds included 3 little ceramic icecream cones and a vintage glass sugar dish,Iput my finds on instagram if you care to take a look,my username is madebymim, i love the red shawl, i'm really hankering after a shawl for chilly summer evenings!

diane said...

i ♥ junkin'!

Annie Cholewa said...

I have not, and I am incredibly envious looking at yours. The places I go those linens would have been individually packaged and marked up to a silly price. There really are few bargains to be had these days in the thrift shops here.

Love the shawl!

Jill Goldberg said...

There is no junk shop in Cape Town that is bypassed by me! It's one of my favourite things to do... :-) That shawl is a real winner.

harmony and rosie said...

I know jealousy is ugly but I do feel a little too much of it right now. That picture of the doily, lacy goodness is what's doing it.
Your thrifty stores are sooo much better than ours over here, which 90% of the time really are junk shops!
Happy weekend xx

june at noon said...

Great finds! I recently had to clean out some treasures, because as much as I like them, they do take up space.... *sigh*

mybeardedpigeon@gmail.com said...

I love the potential treasure inside. I must stop myself from buying handmade cardigans for the new baby- and little vintage dresses- BUT ITS SO HARD TO STOP- when they are so gorgeous and cheap.

vintage grey said...

Ooh, love all your great finds, especially all the doilies, and other crocheted goodness! My favorite! Wishing you a beautiful weekend! xo Heather

Mare said...

Oh what lovely finds! I especially like the rosy shawl. It will look beautiful wrapped around your shoulders....Kiss Pony Girl for me!
Love, mare

Adaliza said...

That shawl is divine! Lucky you. My last brilliant buy was a 60's style wicker chair which I now use in all my photos in the garden (it's also very comfy for when the sun shines and I can crochet in the garden)! What are you going to do with the doilies?

Katiebee said...

good eye! what a find~ love a good "junk shop"

have a great week!

. said...

Treasure indeed!! jx